Photo by Jeffrey Schmieg Photography
According to Wayne Gretzky, “You miss 100% of the shots you never take.” I am assuming he was talking hockey, but we can apply this to Bar and Bat Mitzvah Shots.
First and foremost you need to determine the type of photography style you like and make sure your photographer is understanding your photo vibe. Traditional, contemporary, artistic, candid, glamour, lifestyle or any combination.
Make sure to ask your photographer how many photos they will be taking and when you will be able to view the proofs, and also, how soon after you make your decisions, will receive your photo memories.
You need to give your photographer a list of family members to capture. It is also helpful to assign a go-to person for your photographer who can assist in locating the must-have people in your photos. Here are some of our suggested photos to have your Mitzvah photographer capture.
The Pre-Mitzvah photoshoot should include the following shots:
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah child in several locations throughout the synagogue
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah child with their siblings, parents, grandparents, in any combination
- A generations family photo
- Portraits of each child by themselves
- Portrait of parents of the Mitzvah child
- Portrait of grandparents
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah child in front of the ark
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah child holding the Torah
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah child posed reading Torah
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah child reading Torah surrounded by parents, siblings, grandparents in any combination
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah child walking in/out of sanctuary
- Family walking in/out of sanctuary
- Parents placing the tallit on Bar/Bat Mitzvah child
Party shots ideas:
- Favor table
- Entrance/Sign-in board
- Candle Lighting
- Table shots with and without guests
- Any entertainment
- The Hora – in the chair, child, parents, and siblings
- Group shot of all the kids
- Guests having a great time
- An end of the evening party shot
Don’t be afraid to ask your photographer for what you want to remember. The best way to remember the moments is to snap the pics!